Why does IOU Sports exist?
It provides a Unique, Cultural, Educational and Athletic Experience for girls and women.
- Girls are exposed to positive role models and have opportunities to travel outside of their communities.
- Girls are more likely to get better grades in school and more likely to graduate than girls who do not play sports.
- Girls and women who play sports have higher levels of confidence and self-esteem and lower levels of depression.
- In an economic environment where the quality of our life is dependent on two-income families, our daughters cannot be less prepared for the highly competitive workplace than our sons.
- Our Organization works to afford females equal opportunity to work and be volunteer leaders in sports organizations and the sports industry.
- High school girls who play sports are less likely to be involved in an unintended pregnancy.
- Females have 1.1 million fewer high school and 36% fewer college sports participation opportunities than males and receive $137 million less in athletic scholarships funds each year.
- Girls who participate in sports are more likely to experience academic success and graduate from high school than those who do not play sports.
- Girls need role models. Women sports are only 8% of all print and TV sports media coverage.
...For these reasons and many others, there is still much work to be done to get girls active and for those who are active, to experience equal treatment at all levels of sports.
Why give to IOU Sports?
The Organization is meeting a critical need. The request for a gift is an invitation to join in a grass-roots social change venture, an opportunity to invest in the health, empowerment and success for girls and women through sports. When we expand participation and leadership opportunities for girls and women in sport, these experiences pay dividends in the form of a stronger, healthier society.
What are the sources of financial support for IOU Sports?
The Organization has a 60 thousand dollar operating budget with funds raised each year from Foundations (30%), individuals (40%), and corporations (30%).
What are the funds used for?
The Organization spends only 35% of its operating budget on administration and fundraising, with 65 cents of each dollar spent on providing public education programs, educational projects, interns and scholarship opportunities, transportation, nutritional snacks, and arts and crafts.
For more information, please contact us.